St John's Bellringers
The ring of eight bells were recast in 1675 after the Restoration, again in 1808 and rededicated in 1947 after an overhaul.
A nineth bell cast in 1675 by W Hawkins Tobie Norris is known as the Priest's Bell.
The sixteenth century was an eventful time for St John's. Its bells sounded for the funerals in the cathedral of Katharine of Aragon (1536) and Mary, Queen of Scots (1587) . During the Second World War, the silence of the bells was only broken in celebration of the victory at El Alamein in 1942.
The bellringers meet regularly and new members are warmly welcomed.
Tower Captain - Nick Elks
Matthew Wyldebore lived at the mansion house in Westgate (now part of the Bull Hotel) and was twice elected MP for Peterborough between 1768 - 74. He died on the 15th March 1781, and a memorial stone was erected in the Lady Chapel to commemorate his life.
He bequeathed a legacy to the church to pay for a peal of bells and a sermon on the anniversary of his death. This is reputedly in gratitude for finding his way to safety through the mists on Peterborough Common by making for the sound of St John's bells. The payments were ten shillings per rope and one pound for the sermon.